10 easy ways to get organized for 2022
I have an annual end-of-year ritual: During the off-week between Christmas and New Years, I clean my small business office and get organized for the New Year. These days are a great time to declutter and simplify your small business life. This year is more important than ever because you are probably working from home at least some of the time. And, come on, isn’t there a lot from 2021 that you want to leave behind?
Getting organized can seem overwhelming, so let me break it down into three steps: âeliminate, automate, delegateâ.
What is encumbering your life, your time, your office? What are the things that you had better get rid of? Here’s where to start:
1. Lots of stuff. Do you have piles of paper on your desk, on your floor, on your kitchen counter? It’s time to get rid of it. Prepare a trash can, a scanner, a filing box and a shredder. Now be ruthless. Mix or shred most things. Scan and scan the information you want / need to keep. For the very few things that you really have to physically hold on to, categorize them.
âº Small business: 15 things to do before the end of the year
2. Distractions. Do you check your emails all day? Do you find yourself surfing the web, reading social media, playing Spider Solitaire in the middle of the day (my guilty pleasure)? Try using a focus app like LeechBlock or SelfControl.
3. Business lines or activities that are unprofitable and / or waste time. The end of the year is a good time to assess the things that aren’t really making you money. Take a closer look when you’re making your annual plan in January (stay tuned!), But start analyzing where you’re really making money to see what things you can get rid of.
4. Other activities. Just say no. âThe easiest way to keep something off your to-do list is to not put it there in the first place. Before you commit to anything, make sure it is something you will enjoy.
What processes do you perform each day, week, month or year? If you’re still doing them by hand or with old software, I bet you can use a faster, easier cloud app. Some cost a few dollars, but they save you many hours and headaches.
1. Pay the bills. Set up automatic payment for virtually all of your invoices. Your credit rating will improve and you will have a lot more time.
2. Sending invoices. Yes, you will still need to figure out how much to charge, but use a billing program like Freshbooks or Quickbooks to make things a lot easier.
3. Payroll. No excuses. Use a payroll processing service like Quickbooks Payroll, Sure Payroll, or Gusto.
4. Social networks. If you’ve decided that being on social media is worth it for your business, then use a calendar program like Hootsuite or Buffer so you can set aside time to post rather than being distracted throughout your day. of work.
âº Get to know social media better: How to improve your social media game painlessly
5. Create models. In most small businesses there are things that you send or use over and over again, such as proposals, offers, customer service emails, responses to inquiries. Don’t create them from scratch every time. Keep a file called âTemplatesâ and save time.
Of course you can do it all on your own and yes most of the time you would do it better than anyone else. But do you really need to do all of these things? Isn’t your time better spent earning money than doing routine paperwork, filling orders, buying office supplies? Isn’t it time you got some help?
If you’re not ready for full-time employees, look for part-time workers or contractors. My first administrator was a 10 hour a week / $ 10 an hour person who worked at my kitchen table, and she changed my life. If you already have help, delegate more.
Finally, there are other things to do for the end of the year, such as changing the bank or administrative system that you plan to change. The turn of a calendar year is an ideal time, which makes it easier to separate information for record keeping.
Finally, take advantage of this off-peak period to spend time with your friends and family. After all, they’re a big part of the reason you work so hard. Take advantage of it and have a very good holiday season.
âº Holiday Shopping 2021: 6 things you can do to support small businesses