Virginia Tech earns 2-0 shutout win over Syracuse
NOIRSBOURG – Virginia Tech won its 10th game of the season in a 2-0 shutout win over Syracuse on Sunday, Oct. 23 at Thompson Field. The win marked the 300th win for the Hokies women’s soccer program program established in 1993.
The win boosted Virginia Tech’s record to 10-5-2 overall and 4-4-1 in ACC play. The Hokies went 5-3-2 at home this season after beating Syracuse (8-7-2, 1-5-2) in the final home game of the regular season.
How did it happen
Virginia Tech took a 1-0 lead when Gaby Johnson scored his third goal of the season in the 43rd minute. Johnson took the corner for the Hokies by hitting the ball directly on target and across the net. The Hokies held on to the 9-4 shooting advantage going into the second half.
Orange were forced to play a woman in the 61st minute after the starting Orange goalkeeper was shown a red card. The Hokies took the lead and extended their lead to 2-0 on a goal from lauren gogal, his first goal of the season. Gogal scored in the 88th minute, assisted by Natalie Mitchell with his eighth assist of the season.
- lauren gogal scored his first career goal.
- Lauren Hargrove recorded five saves for the Hokies on 11 total Orange shots.
- Hargrove got his sixth clean sheet of the season.
- Virginia Tech remains undefeated by Syracuse in their last seven games against each other since 2003.
- The Hokies earned their 300th program win